Snow, snow and more... snow!

Previously I wrote that we had a weekend in Munich due to bad weather here in Yerevan.
What I didn’t know was that in the days since we have arrived, Armenia is recording its worst winter in 100 years! Cultural differences show up in the way we do things. Although Armenia gets a fair amount of snow each winter, the main difference between “back where I’m from” and here is that here, they don’t have the means to remove the snow. (On the very main roads they do, but that becomes a minority of roads in the city). So, instead of removing the snow away from the roads to clear the way for vehicles to drive, people actually throw the snow into the road to clear their walks. Consequently, the roads become very packed and slippery. I am so thankful for my 4 wheel drive STL vehicle but even that got stuck for a good hour the other night as we had to drive in a driveway/backyard that was full of snow with ice underneath that. (This took 2 of my Armenian friends along with another 3 good Samaritans and a great deal of “horse sense” in order to get out of that massive quantity of snow.)
I have to use 4-wheel drive to drive down my road each day as I live off a narrow alley, and this alley hasn’t been touched by “snow removal devices” due to the “topography” of the area (it’s a bit hilly). Pushing people out of our alley has become a daily occurrence, and those without 4-wheel drive have consigned themselves temporarily to a life of walking. My neighbor the other day asked me to take him and his wife to the hospital as even the Taxi’s won’t venture into our snow filled alley.
Let’s just say that we are very anxious for Spring to come.


<< Home